"You see, Wendy, when the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." James M. Barrie Peter Pan.

Monday, November 29, 2010

What Fran did on her Thanksgiving Vacation

I swam with Tamara, a former New Orleans dolphin before Katrina destroyed the aquarium where she lived. She and her 2 year old son Palmer were 'OUR' dolphins.

I have always been conflicted when it comes to interacting with animals such as these uber intelligent mammals but this was a total thrill of a lifetime. The trainers were respectful of the dolphins and while it is not natural for them to interact with us like this this is all they've ever known.

I was so excited to 'meet' her, stroke her and let her push my across the bay by pushing her nose firmly into the base of my foot. After a short while, she kicks into 2nd gear and I personally worried I'd be flying into the rock wall! The pic's reflect my concern.

I swam with 'the brat' Palmer and got to see how a juvenile male dolphin can be just a bratty as a little boy. [he kept trying to push my husband's left foot when Tamara pushed his right foot and in the end everything had to stop, reset and Tamara finally pushed him across the Bay].

First I get to say HI!

Photobucket

Then feed her a small fish

Photobucket

Then we cement our relationship before she hurls me across the bay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Off to swim with Palmer

Photobucket

No comments:

Followers