"You see, Wendy, when the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies." James M. Barrie Peter Pan.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Critters in my yard.

I live in in East Central Florida on the ocean.

Mowing the lawn today I had two baby Marsh Rabbit hope out from under my recently
planted Yucca's. Soooo small and cute. They were not really afraid of the lawn mower
it seemed and took their time hopping under the fence to the neighbours.
they had short ears and very short 'arms' and were chocolate brown.
It's the first time I've seen any in my yard and it's been almost 20 years.


The fellow that lives in my next door neighbour's cottage killed a Diamond Back Rattler last week.
He'd seen it over the last year coming out of "the mess in my back yard"!! (Seagrape brush)
From the rattles he figured it was an 11 year old female and was one inch under 5' long.
It had 3 rats inside.

I was so sad ... however, I don't have to worry about walking out in the dark and stepping on it now.

I was happy as well as the owner of the property next door had assured me he had a loaded gun and would shoot it the next time he saw it.
Thank goodness cottage guy said he'd take care of it with a shovel.
This is not a pic of the one he killed but is representative except ours had big lumps in the middle from the rats.


We have always had Black Racers on our old property and have one on our new property as well.
I've named them all Sam.
They are a friendly sort that eat rodents and just generally hang out .. until they decide
to leave.... then they go amazingly fast.


2 comments:

Dena said...

Rats? And rat eating snakes? Noooooo thanks!

Fran said...

I refuse to name the rats .. they're big ones

Followers